Saturday, October 9, 2010

Making baby food

Cole's first week of solid food has been a success. Now that we've given Cole a chance to experience the boring rice cereal, we've decided to broaden his food experiences. Really the only things he's ever tasted are pretty bland... milk, baby cereal and his hand. It's time to step out.

Our first three kiddos ate the Gerber stuff out of the jar. I remember my mother-in-law telling me how she made her own baby food for her kids, and how I should start making it with ours. She said it was easy. I thought she was nuts. Now that I'm somewhat wiser, I think she actually had a point. I think about all the preservatives that go into those foods... and knowing where the produce comes from and how it is prepared seems a lot healthier for a baby.

It's not to say that I will never give Cole jarred baby food. I'm sure he will get it on occasion, but I am going to try and keep this up.

So today we made apples and pears. We peeled and cored both fruits... boiled the apples and steamed the pears.

They went into the food processer and ta-da! Homemade baby food. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. I then put the extras into ice cube trays to freeze the leftovers.

"Yeah, it's food time! I love food. I sure hope it's that yummy rice stuff that I've been getting all week. I'm so used to it."

"Um, it feels like the other stuff. Wait, why is my tongue starting to tingle?"

"Hmmm... that's different."

"Can I talk to a manager. I didn't order apples!"

"Um. No thanks. I think I will pass."

"I said NO MORE!"

I'm not too offended. After all this was his first try at something besides his rice cereal. We'll try again next time! :)