Monday, July 18, 2011

Smithville, TX B&B

We set off to the hill country this weekend to the small town of Smithville, TX. I heard that one of its claims to fame was that the movie Hope Floats was filmed there... One of my all time faves! After hearing that, I eagerly anticipated meeting the owners of the B&B, knowing that they'd have Harry Connick Jr's charm and good looks. Sure enough, they were extremely friendly (and a cute older couple) - just as you'd expect in this quiet little Texas town.

Welcome to our cabin! I hope you brought some food...


We had the pond all to ourselves - if you don't count an occasional visit from one of the cows. Or the very curious (read: territorial and frightening) snake that lived under the dock.


It's actually on a real organic farm... they have beautiful gardens and farm animals.

These twins are grass fed.

These twins are not.

Here are a few happy campers.

"They forgot me!"

Abby not too thrilled she had to wait until Austin was done on the boat.

Girls' turn! It amazes me that Emily will pick up worms, lizards, etc. - but if a little ant gets on her she'll scream bloody murder.

"Tell her what she's won. A Brand New Bass!!"

"It's wiggling!"


"Mr. Catfish 2011"



This catfish almost pulled Austin in - he brought it in all by himself.

Another cast. Another fish... Austin was on fire and is now totally hooked on fishing! (thank goodness)

"You can hold it, Dad."




I guess out in the country you expect to see some critters you wouldn't normally see.

I knew our mini-vacation was over when James informed me that this guy was eyeing me on the front porch while I was relaxing and reading after the kids had gone to bed.

I knew it was time to say goodbye to Smithville. Until next time!