Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Organizing school stuff

Organizing the kid's school stuff has been on my list for - oh let's say for about a few years. I finally dedicated my time this morning to creating a new system.

This is what I used to do with the kid's prized school creations:

They got thrown into a Williams Sonoma bag in the office. All three of the kid's stuff.

So I took a rare trip to Wal-Mart, invested in a 3 inch binder, some dividers, and some sheet protectors. Then I started sorting out the mess.

It was fun looking at Austin's preschool and kindergarten papers. He has come such a long away, it is truly amazing. This is one of my favorite items I found from early kinder.

It says, "I look in the mirror and I see a boy with a nice smiol. And I see a girl with new earings."

What?! Bwaaa Haaa Haaa!! I know he will get a kick out of that when he's older.

So I made sections in each grade for stories, pictures (on the bigger items I take photos of them, and eventually I will print them out and stick them in the folder), awards/certificates, report cards, nice teacher's notes, sports pictures, his cards to us, etc.

Here is a story he came home with a couple of weeks ago, I think it was written several months ago though because he really does know how to spell crayon.

"The Craoun and the Pencil"

One day I went to school. My school is WCES. When I am in my class I unpack my things. Wow! It's a pencil

and a croun dancing. What are you doing here! Were doing the Cha Cha here! It's privacy!

I dicided to write a story. "But what can I use." "Hey! You can use us!" "Who" "us" "who" "us" So I started to write a story.

Too funny.

So here is the finished product. Well technically it won't be finished until he's done with high school, so here is my work in progress. I hope to fit all of elementary school in the same folder, we'll see...


And I don't know why, maybe because he's the oldest and I kept more of his stuff, but I don't have nearly as many of the girl's school things. I need to make a more conscious effort to save them!

Oh and this is what I am doing for the kid's school pictures. Somebody had gotten three of these books for me after the girls were born and I finally started filling them out. I think it's a pretty neat and organized way to keep up with school individual and class pictures.