Sunday, August 23, 2009

Free the crabs

One night this week for dinner we had seafood. I got 2 lbs. of shrimp and 4 snow crab legs all for $15! HEB has terrific sales (sometimes), not to mention the kids love going there. Free samples, balloons, buddy bucks... a preschooler's dream.

Then we came home and I started peeling all the shrimp. 1 hour later (which reminds me why I don't cook shrimp very often), I started the batter. I will say I tried a new batter and it was really good... all that was in it was 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of beer and whatever seasoning you want to add to it. I was a little hesitant about the beer part because I am not a beer drinker (I prefer other drinks) but it didn't taste like beer at all. It was light and crispy. Very good. Then I started the potato salad. Then steamed the crab. It was a long day in the kitchen.

Abby was a bit hesitant about the crab... and their pinchers. I told her they weren't alive so she wouldn't have anything to worry about. Then she said, "I want them to be free." My response, "so you don't want crab for dinner?" She said, "No, they miss their family."

I then started worrying that she would apply this to any animal. She is the most particular child ever. Not that it's bad to be a tree hugging, passionate earthy girl, but it just makes things easier when we are all on the same page.

So I resorted to a bit of trickery. I told her to close her eyes and open her mouth, as I had a special "treat" for her. Needless to say she loved the crab and will not be joining PETA anytime soon.

"I'm not going to see you anymore. You are in my tummy now."

The crabs were excellent. Somehow food tastes a little bit better when you can eat it with your hands. Not that we're cave people, I'm just sayin...

Just in case PETA finds their way to our site: No real crabs were actually harmed in the making of this blog. They were all paid actor crabs and everybody indeed went home to their families.