Monday, August 17, 2009

One more week

One more week until school starts. The girls will start their last year of preschool and Austin will be in the first grade. Time flies by so fast. I am ready to get back into a routine, but I know I will miss Austin during the day.

The kiddos and I will be alone this week. James heads to Scotland tomorrow. Am I jealous? Uh - yes! Of all the places I would like to visit, Scotland would be pretty high on my list. He tries to play it down... a long flight, meetings all day for 2 days, and then head back home. Oh how I tried to talk my way into going also. Then I looked at the cost of flights. And of course there really isn't anyone to watch the kids. So maybe next time. The only place I ever traveled for work was to Conway, KS... home of a big NGL hub. I got to see a fractionator and a control room. James gets to see castles. Which is more exciting?

Anyway, he bought a little digital camera this weekend to take with him. Because if I can't go, then I want to live vicariously through him - with lots and lots of pictures. He didn't want to "look" like a tourist since he'll be there for "serious" work. I guess that means he won't be strapping on a fanny pack.

Here are a few of my pictures from last week.

Abby came out of her room and told me she was having a party in there. When I walked in, this is what I discovered.

Then they all sat down and had some tea to celebrate a successful party.

Here's Emily and Austin writing on the driveway. What you don't see is their "very sweaty" parents bundling up branches for the trash man. Our trash service is hard core about what you put out and how you put it out. Maybe one day we'll have a burn pile and it won't matter.

Emily dressed up and actually matched (sort-of).

I meant to put these up a few weeks ago. Jayson and Justin (and baby Ryan) came over to play and the kids all had a blast. I wonder who's winning?

These two seem a bit more civilized during their game.

We went to the Woodland's children's museum with some friends and had a good time. Forget pocket change - you might find a whole kid in those cushions (safe and breathing with a smile on their face, of course - not one from weeks ago).

Nothing says Summer fun like crafts.

Welcome to my "perfectly painted, always air conditioned, no rats or bugs to be found, red and white" farmhouse. Take your shoes off before you come in.

Any ideas on what costume Austin is wearing? Because I don't. I told him it was Robin Hood and Emily was Maid Marian. I'm sure if they had heart dresses in her time, she'd be all over it.

Of course Abby had to be the crazy duck. The girl loves her poultry. Perhaps it's a turkey. Or an eagle? I'm more of a mammal girl.