Friday, July 17, 2009

Swimming 101

Two weeks ago the girls participated in a week's worth of swim lessons.


We tried them last year at our gym, but it really didn't go very well. In fact, Emily refused to even get in the pool the last half of the session. I thought this summer would be ideal, after all Austin took lessons at age 4 and he was swimming like a fish following his lessons. I hoped the same thing for the girls.

This year we went to a lady's house for lessons. She was so nice and really tried working with the girls. And I really thought they would do great, especially Emily, since she had a breakthrough during the week at our house. James would take her under water from one side of the pool to the other and she was fine. In fact, she wanted him to throw her in the air like he does with Austin. And he's usually good at making sure the kiddos actually land in the water. :)

Doesn't this look like a girl who enjoys the pool? (note: didn't Madonna go on tour with that same outfit in black, sans the flower bathing suit?) Anyway, this was going to be a piece of cake... Well you would never know it. The next day at lessons she insisted she would not put her face under water. I'm sure Ms. Ann-Marie would be totally shocked if she saw Emily at our house. It was a totally different child.

Abby started off the lessons better than what she finished. She progressively got worse after she was dunked the first day. Poor thing. Maybe she just takes after me. Seeing that I couldn't even jump off a diving board by myself at the age of 8...

My skills have gotten better since, but I'm not even close to swimming at my son's level or anything that extreme. I have always wanted to do a triathlon - although I have a horrible feeling they'd see one remaining bike and would subsequently have to send a search party in for me. I wonder if they have biathlons?

Abby has had a few breakthroughs since - her chin almost made it all the way into the water today. Baby steps.