Monday, September 7, 2009

Cheyenne

I brought Austin lunch at school last week, and good thing I did or I would not have never heard about all the interesting 1st grade gossip. And I wouldn't have learned that he had a girlfriend.

Seriously.

Apparently this runs in the family as James had a "girlfriend" in first grade also. Actually he claims he had two - one for about a week and one for about an hour. I don't ever remember having any boyfriends in elementary school? Or middle school for that matter.

So apparently a little girl named Cheyenne is in his class. I will say I love her name - it reminds me of that George Strait song, you know the one with the fiddle....

Austin didn't know her last name, he only knew that she is 7 - an older woman. She asked him if she could be his girlfriend. Austin said sure, that would be okay, as long as the teacher didn't know. After he told me he begged me not to tell her mom. Like I even know who her mom is... Then he asked me if he had to marry her. I said no. He said he wasn't sure what she was going to look like when she grew up (not sure where he got that from). I then expressed there are more important things than what she looks like.

When we got home, James asked him why she was his girlfriend and he replied, "I dunno, I guess because she asked." Then he immediately changed the subject. 'Sigh' If only it were that easy.

Anyway, I got home and pulled out his kinder yearbook frantically searching for this girl. I don't know why it matters, maybe I just wanted to do a little research on the girl that could possibly join our family one day. I couldn't find her... drat. I thought maybe she was new to the school this year, then Austin said he's pretty sure she wasn't a new student. Hmmm... I will have to conduct more research later - maybe at parent orientation next week. :)

One thing is for sure, I definitely plan on going to the school more for lunch this year.

Update: Austin told Cheyenne in art class the next day that he didn't want to have a girlfriend anymore. Whew. The break-up went smoothly, as I guess it should in 1st grade. That was the easiest first girlfriend experience ever. Austin said they are still good friends.