Saturday, June 13, 2009

John Denver

I love him. You can't NOT listen to him when driving in the Rockies. I seriously wept when his plane went down on 10/12/97. It was the beginning of my sophomore year at Texas Tech and I skipped my classes that dreaded day.

That singer has taught me many things. How else would I know where the Blue Ridge mountains are? "Almost heaven, WV, Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River..." And I guess if you asked James what our song was, he would say "Annie's Song." Although I don't know if we officially have a song (or if he really knows that's the title), but it did play at our wedding. Good enough for me.

And I've always wanted a feather bed... but that's for the hardcore JD fans I guess...

Oh and I can't tell you how many times I have seen the JD PBS documentary, "A Song's Best Friend." We actually have it on Tivo and I refuse to delete it. That would be wrong. Terribly wrong I say.

So it's only fitting we should sing some JD on our visit to the Rockies. As my old favorite singer would say, "Far out." John Denver really defines some of my greatest memories. Those that I've had, and those that I wish I had. All I can say is that when I listen to him - I feel complete.

Sure, there's a whole generation that can't look at John Denver without thinking about the Muppets - but that's the thing. He was iconic and very, very inspiring to everyone who knew him. Even though I didn't know him. Technically. I mean, who else would look so cool playing a banjo with a Muppet? Hmmm... well maybe Justin Timberlake.

Yes, I am a complete dork. And I hope my kiddos will be so much cooler than me.

I know I am not helping them out very much...